While the thought of potentially experiencing a material loss may not be top of mind for everyone, it’s something that should be – and can be – easily guarded against with care and an understanding of how most losses occur. Here are seven things we can all do to protect ourselves from experiencing a potentially devastating loss:
- Always be sure the exhaust vents on furnaces, water heaters, dryers, etc. are clean and free of debris.
- Disconnect outdoor water hoses over the winter to prevent frozen pipes.
- Keep eavestroughs clear year-round to prevent ice damming and to keep rain from building up under shingles.
- Close all fresh air vents and crawl space openings in the winter to prevent frozen water lines.
- Check all sump pumps regularly as well as the battery backup.
- Have furnaces and gas fireplaces inspected and cleaned annually.
- Keep any catch basins in your yard clear of leaves and debris at all times to allow for proper drainage.
Thank you for reading our tips on how to protect yourself from experiencing a loss. If you need to connect with a broker, you can find one in your community that understands your needs by clicking here. To get a quote and price out your insurance needs quickly and simply, click here.