The goal of loss prevention is to minimize risk and financial loss for our policyholders. By identifying serious hazards and providing professional risk management advice, we can help protect your assets while enhancing and promoting safety. Kent & Essex Mutual Insurance has an on staff Loss Prevention Representative to assist you.
Loss Prevention Assistance
As of May 3, 2018, Loss Prevention Assistance Program enhanced! You may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 in loss prevention assistance. Click Here for more information.
Fire Prevention Tips
Kent & Essex Mutual Insurance Company offers fire extinguishers for sale to our policyholders through our brokers at a reduced price and will pay for recharging these units when necessary.
Be sure you have a smoke detector on each level of your residence. Change smoke detector batteries and test your smoke alarms regularly.
Carbon Monoxide Detector must be placed on every floor of your home. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless but deadly gas that may escape from your heating appliances.
How To Protect Yourself From Loss
- Always be sure all exhaust vents on furnaces, water heaters, dryers etc. are clean and free of debris.
- Disconnect outdoor water hoses over the winter to prevent freezing of the pipes.
- Keep eaves troughs clear throughout the year to prevent ice damming and to keep rain from backing up under the shingles.
- Close all fresh air vents and crawl space openings in the winter to prevent frozen waterlines.
- Check all sump pumps regularly as well as the battery backup.
- Have furnaces and gas fireplaces inspected and cleaned annually.
- Keep any catch basins in your yard clear of leaves and debris at all times to allow for good drainage.