A car accident can be a terrifying experience, and while we all hope to never be involved in one, sometimes they simply can’t be avoided. Driving is, by nature, a risky endeavor but is also an essential aspect of life for many of us. If you do find yourself a victim of a car accident, you must follow the following steps:
- Check for injuries to yourself and passengers. If anyone is injured, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Contact the police and follow their instructions regarding reporting the car accident.
- If there are injuries, fatalities, extensive damage, or fuel leaks, don’t move your car.
- If you absolutely must move your car, ensure that it is safely off the road.
- If you are able, exit your car to assess the damage. If you have a cell phone, take photos of the damage.
- If there is another vehicle involved in the accident:
- Confirm who the owner is of the vehicle.
- Take a photo of the vehicle registration and pink liability card for all vehicles involved.
- Ask the driver for their contact information (name, address, phone number, drivers’ license number, insurance company, and policy number).
- Is your vehicle safe to drive? If so, you can take it home.
- If you cannot safely drive your vehicle, call a tow truck and have them take it to a repair facility.
- Were there any witnesses? If so, get their names and contact information. If the police are coming to the scene, ask the witnesses to wait there so they can provide a statement.
- As soon as you are able, call your broker to report the claim.
Thank you for reading our tips on what to do after a car accident – we’re happy to have you as part of the Kent & Essex Community! If you need to connect with a broker, you can find one in your community that understands your needs by clicking here. To get a quote and price out your insurance needs quickly and simply, click here.